Friday, August 5, 2011

When I was teaching students often they would worry about if their work looked realistic and were very upset when it wasn't. Many people will say, "I can't draw a straight line, " when talking to me their art. But art is so much more than that. It is the love of color, pattern, texture, movement, balance and light. I like art that is not slick, that is not perfect, but speaks of a human hand that made and formed its being. It is the creation that is the excitement and joy.

If you let yourself go, and just look at this piece below, start to feel what it says to you. Look at the light bouncing off the glass, and try to think where have I seen that blue before...a dawn sky, shimmers in a tropical sea, a universe with blue orbs floating, horizontal lines on a corduroy jacket, a red heart, superman's cape.

I am exploring size and width in my work. How does the piece change when it is long and skinny? How do the colors look when I keep an even square? Should I balance shapes or vary the texture more? I love the questions in art and the exploration. Glass doesn't behave like other media, it has its own personality and way about it. It always seeks a one fourth inch level no matter what you do, it want to be angular and proves to be difficult if you want to change that. But it is the what if's that make it fun. I now realize I need to start telling you the size of the pieces or you will not know how large or small they are....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...