Thursday, August 11, 2011

This raku piece is really at the heart of what the process of art is about for me. Is it a failure, is it a success? It is really four separate pieces that found their way together. The torso figure dropped out of my hands on the way to the car and broke, the primitive dog/wolf creatures cracked in the extreme contrast of heat in the raku firing. The base section was one I had intended to put found objects in. So should I throw them all out because they are broken, should I give up on each piece or can they find a home together? There is still more to muse about this piece, like can I add found objects to the circle areas? To me art is about the process, how can this work, what if I put this here or there, can I accept it is not what I had envisioned in the beginning? In teaching I have found that is one of the most difficult things for children and adults..if they have a certain end in mind, they deem it a failure if it changes along the way. What we all have to understand is that the creative process is a system of problem solving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That attitude is something that I am trying to embrace. Too many times I find myself finding fault because it did not turn out the way I expected. I am trying to remember to put it away for a few days, then look with fresh eyes to see the possibilities. Good reminder to us all.
Eileen

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of this approach to art, and life - it's all about the journey! Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...