Friday, October 14, 2011

TRANSFERS PRINTED ON CLAY



Printing Images on Clay

These pots were a cooperative effort. The pots were thrown by Kathy Penia. The transfers and design were mine.

The small disk to the left above is a test tile I did to see how overlaying more than one transfer on top of another would work. I am pleased with the effect. All of this is a practice for my mixed media world, but I love doing pottery. Clay is so tactile, it totally involves all ones senses in the act of making art.




The young woman on the pot above is my Mother when she was in college. The insects are a nod to her love of biology and science. With aging and the effects of a stroke, I lose bits of the Mother I knew. These pots are in honor of her and the amazing person she was. It is my way of dealing with loss and sadness. At 98 and a half, she is still a formidable person in her own way. There are many things that motivate an artist to do art. It is self expression when we make art. We create often because of our emotions: Such as love, happiness, compassion, fright and horror, and sadness.

The glaze is an antique green, that give speckles of brown. It is a cone 6 and was sprayed on. We found if we sprayed the glaze the image would not run. If we applied it with a brush, the ink in the transfers ran and blurred.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...