Sunday, October 16, 2011

Australian Aboriginal Art

As I see a country sign in I will honor them by putting up a article , a website, or artists from the area. You are welcome to add to the list, recommend art sites, galleries or your own art ass we do this. It is my way of giving back to those of you who read our blog form other countries. I think we all are richer for the sharing and learning. Here is a site I found on Aboriginal Art.
A short story about my experience with Australia. When I was a young teacher in the Philippines I traveled in Asia a good bit. Every holiday I was getting space available or a commercial flight out some where.
A group of us flew to Sydney for our Spring break. I remember many wonderful things about the trip. First and foremost, I remember how friendly the people were. It reminded me of an earlier time in American when people were more trusting. I took a harbor tour and saw the Opera house with its unique architecture. We rented a car and drove down the cost, visiting a national park and an animal refuge. We saw animals of all kinds. We drove on down the coast to see the Great Barrier Reef. I remember being amazed little concrete areas built in by the beach for people to swim in and be safe from sharks.
One of my biggest disappointments was I did not get to go to the Aboriginal area. I did visit galleries in Sydney and bought several bark paintings. The time period was the 1970's. I packed them away, and when I returned to the USA and went back to teaching here. I used them as teaching aides for young children. After I retired from teaching I decided to do some research about the bark paintings and to my amazement they had gotten quite valuable.
I did many lessons with children through the years about aborigine art style and the images they used. We talked about why they used the colors they did, and what materials were available for them to do art. We made our own bark paintings and boomerangs. We watched national geographic films about the aboriginal artists and the area. I wish I had saved photo's of the children's work, it was quite nice. For my Australian friends if there are galleries and artist you want to share just put it in the comment section and I will be glad to add to this for others to learn more about your country and artists. G'day mate!

If the website below is not clickable, go to the righthand column on websites of interest and it will be listed there and clickable.
http://www.oneworldmagazine.org/gallery/abo/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...