Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Other Side of Asheville













The Other Side of Asheville

Every small Southern town in the United States has its other side...where the nice houses and well tended lawns transition to crumbling buildings and less tended homes and businesses. Being a new person to Asheville I wondered where the African American population was.

I am used to a large community of many different ethnic groups in Tampa, Florida. I was so puzzled I looked up the demographics of the area my home in Leicester, a suburb of Asheville. It is a part of Buncombe County, North Carolina. I found in a community of 3,000 that there were only 65 African Americans. In the city of Asheville I am not sure what the demographics are, but I see few African Americans and wonder why.

When I was visiting the Blue Spiral gallery I couldn't find parking close by and had to park on a back street that is when I discovered this building with these wonderful paintings of African American Historic heroes and legends.

I will need to do research to identify them all. Maybe you can help me and I will post each person. I need to identify the artist. I thought the paintings were quite nice and I love the monotone technique almost like old photo's.

1 comment:

Rabbitsmoon said...

Rosa Parks is the young woman with glasses. She made history when she sat at the front of a segregated bus.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...