Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Science and Art/Joseph Albers

Ah, the creative process is the same secret in science as it is in art. They are all the same absolutely.

Josef Albers
I had the wonderful opportunity to hear Josef Albers speak when I was a university student. The university was relatively new with a wonderful art department made up of professors who had come from many art programs across the country. It was an exciting time to be there with new teachers, a new program, and a new university. Joseph Albers had been invited to talk to the art students. It was an intimate setting in a small lecture room. There Joseph Albers talked about color in a way I had never heard before. He showed many slides of his work and talked about how colors influence each other. He talked about the science of color and I was mesmerized. I loved science and remembered memorizing the scientific method in school. Later I realized it was the artist process as well. My Mother was a science teacher and taught us a love of nature and science. Science is experimentation, so is art. Science is discovery, so is art. Science is divergent and convergent thinking, so is art. There are many ways they are the same as Albers says.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...