Monday, October 17, 2011

Monet, Manet, Toulouse, Gauguin, Niki Saint Marie, Cezanne, Matisse, Rodin,Corbet...the list goes on and

France,
How do we ever thank you for your contribution to the world of art! Your artists have influenced the world and other artists creations for decades and decades to come. There was a time the world trotted to Paris to be at the birth of many an art movement. Writers, poets, visual artist and actors as well have found their creative muse in Paris and other lovely French cities. Artist have wandered your countryside with journal and sketchbook in hand. So here is a nod and a bow to all your have given to the art world!

A few websites of interest.

I love the work of
Niki-de-saint-phalle. I will never forget the first statue I saw in the water fountain outside the museum of art. It was playful, fun, crazy and yet serious all at once. I absolutely fell in love with her work and set out to learn more about this amazing artist. Here is a website that we can all learn more about this wonderful women born in 1930.
http://www.bechtler.org/Collection/Niki-de-saint-phalle

Monet
Who could not love Monet? A trip to his gardens at Giverny in magical. I took a trip to Paris when I was teaching and my elementary art classes surprised me with the gift of a journal to write about my journey. On the outside was a Monet painting. I took pictures, interviewed staff, and walked the gardens in awe. The students and I had watch many films and one about a young girl whose dream it is to go to Giverny. The film takes us though the yellow dinning room where we meet his large family and see Japanese Woodblock prints(that his flower bulbs were wrapped in). We visit his large studio, where with failing eye sight, Monet paints larger and larger canvases. As I walked the gardens I thought I was seeing a ghost, a man who looked like Monet was standing on the Japanese bridge. I went up to talk to him, he was real. He was Italian and spoke little English. When the kids saw our picture together on the bridge, they were sure I had met Monet himself!

http://giverny.org/monet/welcome.htm

Cezanne

Cezanne was the first French artist I was ever aware of. I was in high school and though I always drew, I had been exposed to very little art in school. I was in high school and our teacher wanted us to do a still life. I looked at her books and discovered a still life done by Cezanne. Something about the painting struck me, perhaps the geometrical structure or the brush work. But, it was his work I chose to look toward for ideas. My interest in Cezanne lasted for many years, before I discovered other French artists.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...