Monday, April 2, 2012

Guess Who Came to Dinner! Dinner with friends and artist James Michaels


Skippy by James Michaels from the Tom & Mary James, Raymond James Financial Collection/google image 
I am not sure what your idea of heaven or nirvana is, but for me it is to be among artists and creative compassionate people.  Last night was an evening that was almost magical.  We attended a friends birthday celebration in their wonderful home that was filled with art.  Simpatico is a word that the Spanish use for when something or someone is so special it is hard to explain.  The evening was like that...filled with talk of creativity, art and ideas.  Was every one an artist?  No, some were teachers of special education, some worked with troubled teenagers, some were hospice councilors worthing with death and dying and some were artists and teachers of the arts.  There are just sometimes when something feels so right...like when an instrument hits a perfect note, or a gorgeous sunset....it is just awe inspiring.  I felt so fortunate to be among such special people, it is one of the things being in the arts brings and for that I am forever thankful.  The evening just flowed with wonderful food, wine and fascinating conversation. There was humor, serious discussions of the world events, of what one was painting or creating, sadness of aging parents and their care, and joy for sharing a friends special day.
 I want to mention a couple of people that were there you may enjoy getting to know.  One is painter from this area whose reputation is growing nationally. It was such a nice surprise, I had not an idea he and his wife were going to be there.
attending!


  His name is James Michaels(click for link). 
 His paintings are masterful and engaging.  I think you will find them very interesting and skillfully painted.  My friends birthday present was one of Michaels' paintings!
I think this is an artist you want to get to know.  His work is fresh, edgy, a bit pop art, but more.  His language is of modern culture and image.  I just love his work.  I had not seen Skippy before doing this article and I think it is my favorite...but each time I see a new painting I think that one is my favorite.  My friends have enough of James work to have their own gallery and Michael's has a large clientele that collect his work religiously.  I think they all want to buy his work before he is discovered and they can no longer afford it!!!
James and his wife Julia are wonderful people. They are quite humble people that have great passion for art and the creative genius James has.  Over the years Michaels work has evolved and I think in very interesting ways.  I loved his early work and it still appeals to me a great deal, but his new style pops off the canvas and grabs your attention.
Take time to get to know this wonderful artist!


13 Men Raymond James Collection

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...