Monday, April 16, 2012

Outlaw Printmakers/ A Movement in the Making


Outlaw Printmakers  * Post 1*


Possum Prominade by Tom Huck
from google image

When I see the word Outlaw I have images of bandana's and masked faces riding after Roy Rodgers, one of  my favorite Western heroes.
google image
Then I think of the 1930's and Bonnie and Clyde


Outlaw Motorcycle Gang
Bonnie and Clyde












 with the FBI  and J. Edgar Hoover in fast pursuit. Lastly the image of the Outlaw Bikers Gang  with wild tattoo's and motorcycles comes to mind.   I decided I best look up the word Outlaw to see its basic meaning.  So it can mean fugitive from the law, habitual criminal, and/or social non-conformist.  I think they probably all apply in this genre if you think about it...a fugitive from the laws of printmaking art, a habitual criminal of breaking basic printmaking basics, and social non-conformisism needs no explanation with this group or most artists.  Sean Starwars kindly led me through the history of the group.  So with a little added research I will give it go at outlining this group for you.  I think they are quite wonderful! I love the energy of Outlaws, but I just don't want anybody messing with my Roy Rodgers and Trigger! I need to find my Roy Rodgers badge!!



Tom Huck 
Bill Fick 





Richard Mock 

Tom Huck, Bill Fick, Richard Mock are names that are at the foundation of the movement.  I have provided links for each artist, so you can get a more in depth look at their art and history coming into this group.  I also will include a couple of videos that give more insight into the group and how a movement in art begins(or at least that is how I see it).  Each artist has a distinct style, the common expression is evident, as well as, a passion for printmaking. 


Big Boss Cat by Bill Fick      from google image

 This a grainy sort of iPhone film in a dark bar and you here these excited voices talking about the beginning of a movement and the artists who are at the center of it.   I was reminded of Black Mountain with Rauschenberg, Twombly, Cunningham and Cage.  The grainy dark film in a bar with artists deep into conversation almost adds to the movements mystic beginnings.  There is an excitement and passion you can feel about starting something new almost as if you just walked in and over heard the challenging the status quo of the art establishment!  It also harkens back to Dadaism or the Impressionists...movements begin in reaction to the time, culture and staid rules of the art establishment(whether that be, galleries, museums, schools, or art critics).


Family by  Richard Mock     from google image
Tom Huck mention influences of Daumier and Albrect Duer, but also R. Crum who did illustrations and cartoons for early films. 
We will end here for this post and continue on for section two to look more in depth to the artist and movement of the Outlaw Printmakers.
Early influencer of Outlaw Printers... R. Crumb  from google image
  

1 comment:

Sean Star Wars said...

Betsy >Thats wonderful! thanks for putting so much into this.being so thorough.definitely keep in touch, esp if your in the mississippi area. the print organization you asked about is southern graphics council.thanks.Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...