Monday, April 9, 2012

Process versus Product

You will learn to enjoy the process... and to surrender your need to control the result. You will discover the joy of practising your creativity. The process, not the product, will become your focus. (Julia Cameron)




The following shows studies of an assemblage I created called Alternate Universes for a gallery showing.  The history of the piece is this.  A friend found this rusted stove top on a four lane highway and retrieved it for me.  I propped it up outside by backdoor against an oak tree where it stood for a good year or more.  Every day on the way to and from work I passed it and gazed at it.  Eventually a thought begin to form in my mind...a hazy distant thought...portals....then I went to my studio surrounded myself with all my things and went to work..it is a process of try this, no, try that, hundreds of choices..over and over.  Then I feel a flow starting that seems right....things begin to click. yes, that works, what about this....ah...what if I add this...I take a break, stand back, think and start again,that day or the next....as the ideas come and then a whole forms and I almost hear a mental click...DONE! This is it!



Thumb Nail Photo Study Sheet of Art Work in Process
Elizabeth Gordon




Artists and teachers debate this a good bit...product versus process.  As a teacher and an artist I have always landed on the side of process.  For me the process leads to the product...but it does not have to initially.  The importance of experimentation and play in art cannot be emphasized enough.  If your focus in on the end product that a teacher has said, make this and here is an example...then you mind is narrowed form the start to all the possibilities to a narrow few.  If you are concentration on your sales or a client or a critic then your mind has set a limited path and the effort will be controlled and perhaps staid.  To be open to process is not to control, to turn the control over and let creativity flow from you.  It is like a surfer cresting a wave, you  must let go, feel the power beneath you and ride with it. 

Detail of Assemblage              photo Elizabeth Gordon

When I taught I refused to make examples before hand and if I showed how to start something I destroyed it right after, so children could approach things from their own perspective and will unlimited possibilities.  
In teaching I can tell you it is the adult student who has the most difficulty letting go of control and just going with the flow...letting the experience guide you.  For me it is the only way I can work...I resist all else.


Detail of Assemblage              photo by Elizabeth Gordon

  I love working in the moment and seeing what the result will be.  You may be a planner, an artist whose sees a work clearly and creates it...but I do encourage all to take a walk on the side of process and letting go, you will find growth in your work you had not expected and a new sense of freedom that will be liberating in art.  And your will begin to trust yourself and your in the moment choices and responses.
  
If you are open, the possibilities can be endless and surprising.      from google image


Let me know if you try and what the results are.  I would take great interest.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...