Friday, March 2, 2012

Wednesday was a Studio Day/The Making of Art

There is something about being with other people making art that is so very special.  When I am in my own studio working and need not to be disturbed I love it and get lost for hours and I have not even realized it has been so long. 
 But when I am working with other artists and the sounds of ideas flowing and excitement of creation there is little else like that in the world.  When I was an art student I loved studio time, as an undergraduate and graduate student, there is something so magical about working with others making art.  I got used to the camaraderie and the sharing of ideas with other like minded people.  I am most comfortable in classes where the teacher introduces something and then lets every one do their own thing.  And that is the way my two classes are right now in fused glass and clay.  I sit look and the materials for a minute and then the ideas just flow, others are working on their own projects, but walk over smile and sit down when they have a break....hand you a cup of coffee and talk over their project...and ask about yours. 
 There is a fragility about doing art that many people don't realize if they are not artist.  When an artist exposes their inner soul, their expression of feelings, emotions, and ability it is laid out bare...there is not hiding, no camouflaging it is there for all to see.  They can love it, hate it, ignore it, snub their nose at it, or say oh I could do that.  When you do shows or galleries then you hear it all and you must brave it out.  But in the creation of art one needs to be in the most positive environment possible...it is when the fragile germination of an idea is born, positivism nurtures and encourages...criticism and negativity and practical ism destroys.  


Judy, Kathy and Betsy printing on clay
Maryanne is always dressed for success


Monica doing Raku
Where ever you do art, make sure you are in the most positive situation possible and around those who will nurture you and your ideas.  There will be plenty of critics and naysayers later, but in the making there should be none. Treasure this time of creation whether alone or with others, protect it, it is the way communicate with the world what our inner soul sees-it is sacred.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...