Friday, March 16, 2012

New Orleans Warehouse District, Glass and Print Studio, and famed artist George Rodrigue

We had a wonderful experience in the warehouse district of New Orleans today.  We went to the Glass and Print Studio where one can view a gallery of the over 100 artists that participate.  On site over 10 artist work in the hot room blowing and turning glass and others on the large presses turning out wonderful artist made prints.  The public can go in to the hot room and observe the actual process of glass blowing.  Every time I watch someone blow glass I am impressed by the skill and strength it takes.  It is a complicated process of heating, adding glass, turning, reheating, add color and reheating again and again.  One must be patient and be able to put up with the constant heat.  But it is a magical process as well.


Warehouse Art District of New Orleans/photo by Elizabeth Gordon
After leaving the glass and print studio I wandered down the street and happened into George Rodrigue's Youth Art Development Foundation.  My eye was drawn to a plaque with an oak tree with a color pallet on it and a glass door that said Youth Art Development.  
Being a teacher of the arts, and an art advocate I had to know more.  What I discovered was a wonderful successful artist who is also a humanitarian with a deep desire to give back to others using his fame and success as a well known artist.  Thanks to the Education Co-ordinator Mandy's generosity of time and patience is answering all my questions we received a thorough understanding of George Rodrigue's outreach programs for young people in the state of Louisiana and his desire to use his art to help people everywhere.  


Plaque Outside George Rodrigue Foundation of the Arts


I would like to break this down into parts for you and more than one post.   First I would like you to know about the print and glass studio and a young artist who uses live cacti in sculpture.  Then I would like to do a separate post on George Rodrigue his art and foundations.  So we will do a three part series for you.  The longer I am in New Orleans the more I find to write about.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...