Thursday, February 9, 2012

Scraffito/a new experience

Tools that can be used with sgraffito
SGRAFFITO
click above for more information


Tools used for sgraffito
The word literally means to scratch through.  An ancient technique used by many civilizations in pottery. Today in pottery class we had a demonstration of sgraffito with each of us doing our own practice piece afterwards.  Pottery is not my medium nor glass, I am a mixed media artist.  But I wanted to expand into new areas this past year and approach each area with fresh eyes, as if there were no rules.  Sgraffito was a good fit for me.  I love drawing and etching was my major area in college, so it seemed natural.  We first painted our greenware with an underglaze.  We used three layers of underglaze.  Often the same color is used in all three layers or perhaps two...so I decided to do a "what if" and try three.  The first layer I used a light green underglaze, the second I used a blue and the last was black.  I ended up putting two coats of black at the end because the blue was showing through more that I wanted.  As you can see in the examples below the plate is well coated in black and it is at the stage of greenware that is leather hard.  The tools picture here were borrowed from my teacher and fellow art student, some are typical and others are inventive, as the dental tool second from the right.  

Greenware plate painted with four layers of underglaze
underglazes of green, blue, and black
Plate that has been etched and carved, black glaze with bits of blue showing 
 I wasn't sure what tools to use or how.  It was all experimentation on my part, but it seemed similar to linoleum or wood block carving.  I first etched in the insect, the started to add lines inside various areas, and lastly carved away the outside area.  I then begin to see a bit of blue peaking through as I used a curved sharp carving tool.  The lighter I carved the more blue came through.  The whole process takes many hours, as you must dry the piece in between each layer of glazing and then the drawing and then the carving.  But it was very a very satisfying process for me, which surprised me as I often am not patient.  But it allowed me to use my drawing and carving skills where I can use clay like a canvas for drawing.  I understand there are many more possibilities to learn..like going back and adding color into etched lines.  I look forward to the experimentation and possibilities.  Part of my interest in nature and insects goes back to childhood and a Mother who was a science teacher.  Now I think as my Mother is approaching 99 and is in a nursing home with the effects of a stroke and dementia I find myself doing work that is a homage to her, something that honors her influence in my life.  So the next series of works I plan to continue with the natural themes, of plants and insects and science. Next week I will photo the piece again for you after it is fired and clear glazed.  It will be interesting to see how the firing effect the underneath colors.
Give sgraffito a try if your haven't done it before and if you have send all the tips you want, we will publish them for others!
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...