Monday, February 20, 2012

New Artist Series Continued/Jamini Roy

Jamini Roy/Brunei


Jamini Roy

I owe a special thanks to sculptor and blogger, Jennifer Tetlow. She had read my post on welcome Brunei and ask about the art work.  I had found the art work listed under Brunei art, but no artist listed.  With a little research I did find the name of the artist and his history. He is a new artist to me and perhaps to you.  His name is Jamini Roy(click for link)
Jamin was know for painting traditional Indian folk and village arts about the everyday life of people of the Bengal area. He studied Western styles of art, but went back to his roots for the rest of his painting career.  He favored a flat painting style and using cheap pigments that would be accessible even to the poorest people.


1 comment:

Jennifer Tetlow said...

Betsy thanks so much for this - indeed he is a new artist for me and I LOVE his work - a wonderful fusion of styles - he has done a series of cats carrying kittens, beautiful design work, and what a draughtsman. Thanks for introduction.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...