Saturday, February 11, 2012

On Being an Artist

The refusal to be creative is self-will and is counter to our true nature Julia Cameron/The Artist's Way

Raku Pot by Betsy Gordon



                             
This is something I have always felt as an artist, even since I was a young child.  I had to create, it did not seem to be a choice.  It seemed to be harder not to create, not to do art.  I have gone long periods without doing my art and I can tell you truthfully it is constantly on my mind daily, like a nagging thought that will not disappear.  I feel guilty when I am not doing my art...it is like something in me is saying you must do this, you must do this.  When I was teaching art to young children I tried to explain this to teachers who had children that drew all over their math and language art papers.  Often the children were punished for drawing for something that came as natural to them as breathing.  When I saw these children in class and talked to them, most of them had started drawing at 2 or 3 years old and never stopped.  I finally told the teachers to send the kids to me anytime and let them draw in the back of the room if I had other classes.  I set up separate desks with drawing supplies for them.  I knew the feeling, and I too had been punished.
  
I think it is so much a part of our nature as artists to create, that it is more than a function, it is our purpose in life. We can deny it and be very unhappy or unfulfilled.  We can listen to others who say we should do something else, but I don't know about you, but when I am doing art, around people doing art, and just around art I am the happiest person in the world.  It is like breathing to me, it is me, the artist.  I think I am not alone, I think all artists feel that way.  We must create!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...