Friday, January 13, 2012

Salvador Dali and Science

Last night I attended a function at the Dali museum in St. Petersburg, Florida in which we were to listen to a speaker.  For some reason the speaker could not be there and instead we watched a wonderful film on Dali and Science.  When I first studied art, Dali was not someone who I cared for, or truthfully understood, as a young college art student.  Later, as I did more art and begin to show my work, I begin to see something that I had not before.  Then the Dali museum was built and the American collection brought here to Florida.  I took my students many times and began to look at his work more and more.  It dawned on me what a genius he was and a true master artist. I also began to understand that I was more a surrealist than I had known.
Science, psychology, and symbols were places I felt comfortable.  My Mother was a science teacher and had an endless fascination with physics, chemistry, medicine, biology and nature.  These were subjects that I roamed in and out of as a child and now as an adult.  I see them reflected in my work and interest as an ever present force. I am captivated by Einstein's theory of relativity, the string theory and quantum physics.  The concept of time being non-linear is absolutely fascinating.
Dali was interest in the scientists of his day.  He was fortunate to meet many of the most foremost thinkers of his time.  He persistently tried to meet Freud, whose thoughts of dream imagery and sexual repression, were of great interest to Dali.  Dali finally got to meet Freud in London and Freud was to have said after seeing one of Dali's paintings," I guess not all Surrealist are drunkards and vagrants, I had best rethink this".  Dali was interested in Einsteins theories and other scientist of the time.  At times scientist looked at his work for ideas that visually represented some of their theories.  From the double helix to the idea of nuclear force and disintegration to the meaning of time and movement Dali's curious mind was ever exploring.   He felt art and science should not be separate from each other and that artists and scientist should collaborate.  Right before his death scientist gathered at his Museum in Figures, Spain to talk to each other about science and art at conference.  Dali was to ill to attend, but watched on a close circuit tv with great interest.
I am including this link to the Dali museum and a talk by a wonderful friend of mine, Peter Tush.  Peter is the education director at the Florida Dali Museum.  Click on Peter Tush and you will be directed to the link.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...