Sunday, July 1, 2012

A SUMMER NIGHT IN AMERICA

Summer Night in America                       photo by elizabeth gordon
THERE IS SOME SO ICONIC ABOUT THESE PHOTOS.  LET IT GET A BIT HOT, SCHOOL IS OUT AND AMERICANS ARE ON VACATION.  ON SUMMER NIGHTS, WHEN IT IS HOT, NEIGHBORS GATHER, LITLLE LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS, TEENS, AND FAMILIES TO GET A SNOW BALL, STUFFED OR NOT, ICE COLD SLURPPY SWEET AND STAND OUT THE HOT HUMID NIGHT EATING AN ICE COLD TREAT TOPPED WITH WHIPPED CREAM OR DRIZZLED WITH CONDENSED MILK.  



close up of flavor syrup choices                                 photo by elizabeth gordon


Summer Night America                      photo Elizabeth Gordon
I could have lightened the dark areas more in the photos, but somehow it lent to a bit of mystery I always feel in New Orleans.  I love the glow of the flood light and contrast with the light and dark areas.  It is almost like a beacon glowing out of a dark night beaconing all to come light a light house calling boats to safety.  I recall so many summer nights when I was a child my family went to get ice cream or a snow cone on a summer night.  There is such a feeling of freedom when school is out and one gets to stay up a bit later .  My Father owned a little drive in and hamburger place that had amusement rides in Mississippi when I was a child of 4 and 5.  My Mother taught school, many a night she would take me to go help Dad after work and I would fall asleep on a bench looking out at the night, the ferris wheel and all the people having a good time.  It was always a bit mysterious to me.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...