Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Story of the Peacock Christmas Tree


 A Christmas Surprise


One Christmas I had been away from home in Germany visiting a friend.  I had not felt well and injured my leg on the trip. I was  coming in a wheel chair!  I wasn't expecting much, but when my friends opened the living room doors I was overwhelmed by the sight of the most beautiful Christmas tree I had ever seen, purples, greens, blues and gold everywhere.   My two friends and partner had engineered an amazing creation. Michael, an interior decorator, had put his talents to work directing the design and decorating.  
To understand why it was so special to me you would have to know another part of the story.  Many years before I had been studying about visualization.  The book suggested starting simple, choosing one small thing to concentrate on.  I chose a peacock.  I was traveling to Boston on an airplane and visualized peacocks the whole way.  Not thinking anything of it when I disembarked,  as I walked through the airport shops there were peacocks everywhere. It was a theme or something..but I was overwhelmed.  So years later to walk in and see a  vision of a Peacock Christmas tree was like a dream come true.  It truly was one of the sweetest thing anyone has done for me.  So this year as I get the peacocks out I think of the year of the Christmas surprise and wonderful loving friends.


1 comment:

Milane Milosh said...

I love to make Peacock Christmas Trees too! My tree ornaments at Yule reflect mostly things I'm grateful for. So my trees usually sport lots of peacocks & aqua, turquoise, teal, emerald, lime, pink & magenta plastic imitation glass balls to complement them; swans, black cats, deer, fruit-bat pollinators, roses, Finnish flags, Swedish & Japanese folk toys, Viking theme ornaments, hockey ornaments; flamingoes, palm trees & Florida icons; a sun ornament to symbolize God, European mercury glass; traditional German red & white glass & wood fly aminita mushrooms; holly, ivy, mistletoe, stars, snowflakes and - near the bottom of the tree - catnip cat-toys that the cats can bat and knock off. My cats love the celebration of Christmas, live trees -- and the catnip toys and the peacock ornaments best. Thanks to the cats' affection & good manners, only one feathered peacock ornament was ever molested - lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...