Saturday, November 5, 2011

When We Develop as Artist We Take Risks

Monica/Growth as an Artist
Success takes us being open to risks




It is never comfortable to take risks. Growth in life and art is not always easy. It is scary. We question ourselves: we will we succeed, will we fail, will we make fools of ourselves? For artists who have been working for a while the fears may be different. It may be, will people buy my work if I try a new style, can I risk experimenting and still have galleries carry my work, will my patrons still support me if I change media and style?

I write this pinpointing one individual in my world who went from being an art historian to being an artist. Monica is from Peru. She came to the United States to work at the Dali Museum in Florida, as an assistant education director. She had done some art in Peru, but now she wanted to do more and learn about creating her own pottery and hand made glass art. At first it was frustration and trial and error. But step by step with support of classmates, friends and family Monica took those steps that we all must take if we want to succeed. She overcame obstacles one by one:centering clay, learning about glazes and scraffito, taking classes in glass fusion, and so much more. With a patient tenacity Monica grew, day by day, month by month. She sits across from me in clay and glass class, that is how I know.

I am a teacher and understand the learning process well. Observing this amazing process always seems like a mini miracle. It is like a seed being planted, being watered , and growing into a bud, then a flower.

Monica now has been in her first craft show, and has been accepted to two others! It is wonderful to see such growth in an artist and a person.

I think the true miracle is that this process happens all over the world to thousands of people who want to become artists and to artists who want to grow in their own art. It is risk taking, not one time, but setting your mind that it will take a lot of time.

Dedicate yourself to a section of time that you will do every thing possible to perfect your art or craft and enter shows or apply for galleries. It is not about a one time process, it is about continuous effort, intent, and patience. Have faith (or if you prefer confidence and belief) something will happen. It is a journey, but one that requires that you take risks and learn form them. I wish you all a good journey and success.

Check out Monica's blog for updates on her journey as an artist. It is in the blogs I follow section column on the right of this page. barro y arena

Monica is on that journey, let us all wish her the best!

1 comment:

Monica Guerrero said...

Dios Mio!! Thank you Betsy for your kind words :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...