Sunday, November 20, 2011

Family Farms













As we drove up highway 441 in Georgia we saw a bedraggled sign that had seen its better days, advertising turnip and collard greens. Now if you grow up in the South like I did, there is little better than a good mess of greens and hot cornbread!
We also found some fresh rutabaga, which I had never seen before. I have only seen the roots in the grocery store sealed with wax. These were beautiful and the farmer told us to cook the greens as well. There is something quaint about these old family farms, that remind me of childhood and times past. With large conglomerates taking over, it is getting rarer and rarer to see farms like these. They are being driven out of the market. There is hope though as a movement is growing in the USA to use local products and support local growers. As we continued on route and I got lost in the meditation of a long drive my mind wandered to the thought that these scenes are like art installations. I think in the next series of post you will see even better what I mean. If you are familiar with Red Grooms and is New York City re-creations you might see what I am thinking. At this point it is just a thought, a seed of a thought, that is forming in my mind.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...