Friday, November 11, 2011

People Who Shape Our Lives

Ray Azcuy

Ray is a truly exceptional person.

His family left Cuba when he was 12. They moved to Miami to escape an oppressive government and seek a freedom. After high school Ray left Miami to attend the University of South Florida where he studied art education. I think even then Ray knew he wanted to be a leader. He taught high school art for a while, but it was not long before he became my supervisor.


Boss versus Leader

One of the first lessons I was to learn from Ray was the difference being a boss and being a leader.
A boss dictates, a leader encourages.
A boss controls, a leader empowers.
A boss criticizes, a leader supports.
A boss will not take risks, a leader is always looking to new solutions and new ways of doing things.
A boss wants to be served, a leader seeks to serve
A boss keeps the status quo, a leader promotes growth that excites people to achieve beyond themselves.

Ray encouraged me in my teaching and in my art. He was constantly thinking of how he could help me do my job using the best of my abilities. He made you feel special, like you were his favorite, and that you had it in you to succeed beyond your wildest expectations. It was funny, later I found out he did that for every one of his hundred or more teachers! Each person felt honored and special. Now that is a leader.

Teacher versus Artist

The next lesson I was to learn form Ray was the importance of keeping your art alive.
It is easy when you teach art, no matter at what level, to give all of your creative ideas and energy to your students. Then when you get home there is nothing left, you have given your last creative idea to that last struggling child with his head down feeling lost and defeated. Where do you find time and energy to do your own art? But Ray taught me you have to reach a little deeper, go a little further, and nurture yourself.
Ray championed my art and the artist in every teacher. He thought to be a good art teacher, you must be active in your own personal art. He thought it was essential to produce and show, in that way you are ever aware of what your students are experiencing as artists. It was an important lesson that I followed the rest of my career as an art teacher. I always kept the artist in me alive, producing, taking classes, entering shows, and competitions. I think Ray was correct. If you are sensitive to the needs of your students as people making art then you understand their struggles, fears, and joys.

There are so many people who come in and out of our lives. We may learn something from each, sometimes it is a small thing and other times it is life changing. Some people almost seem to be there for a reason, as teachers or mentors for us. Ray was not just that way for me, but for every one he meets. He is a warm friendly person, but he is just a wonderful human being that truly cares about the best in people. He seems to know how to find that best in others, and nurture it. That is one of Ray's talents, the ability to truly see the best in a person and encourage it.

Ray went back to Miami to become an art supervisor there and later the Miami/Dade Museum Education co-ordinator. It was a huge loss to us in our county, we lost a leader and a our best cheerleader. But life is that way, a constant flow. It was Miami's gain. He has gone on to make a huge difference in the Miami/Dade art education community.



Now before you think Ray is an absolute angel....hold on. He loves a bit of mischief and teasing people. If you look closely at this installation piece that was in a South Beach Gallery you will see what I mean. At first it seems like old lady ceramics at the local craft shop. Look closer you are in for a surprise! After all this is the man who had drag queens sing a state art education conference!



I hope you have a Ray in your life. Someone who shines a light for you on the path of life. Ray is like a brother to me, my Cuban brother.
He is a wonderful friend who I cherish. I have always had a love of Spanish culture and their attitude toward family togetherness. At one point I realized Ray treated his staff like his family, one large Cuban family!!!
I encourage you to recognize the people in your life who make a difference for you as a person and artist. An artist needs a positive environment to create and express themselves openly. We all need leaders and visionaries in our lives and in our world. It enables us to become better artist and to express ourselves creatively.
I will post a site where you can learn more about the art work of Ray Azcuy.
http://www.rayazcuy.com/gallery.html(it is clickable in the column on the right/websites of interest.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...