Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Call of The Artist

True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the artist to creative artist.
Albert Einstein

This quote speaks to the heart of my experience as an artist.  To not create is more painful that to create.  There is a constant urge to create, it never leaves me.  From the time I was a young child I had to create, something urged me to constantly draw, paint, make and there was no silencing the call other than to make art.  I have talked to many artists who experience the same thing.  There  is almost a guilt when you don't.  It is an inner drive like a drum beat that is playing in your mind...paint, draw, sculpt, ....grab anything and start creating.  When I was a child I would take soft bread and mold it into little people and animals at meals.  In teaching I met many children like me who had to draw and often were punished for it in class.  I tried to explain to the teachers that had to draw, it wasn't a choice for them-but sometimes it was like talking to the wind.  If you are an artist you know the call and your know the force that is always there calling you out.  You can ignore it, you can not create, but I guarantee you that you will be miserable if you do.  I think it is a gift, something that is like a beacon calling us to our center, our purpose here on Earth, to create.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...