Tuesday, December 24, 2013

IT IS HOLIDAY SEASON IN AMERICA AND MANY PLACE AROUND THE WORLD

LETS LOOK AT WHAT PEOPLE DO, FOR LIVING AND CELEBRATING IN ITSELF IS AN ART!

How People Celebrate with food all over the world. (< click for link)



Christmas in Turkey

Turkey will always have a fond place in my heart.  I lived in Izmir for two years and loved every minute of it.  It is where I first found out about the origin of what we know as Santa Claus or Saint Nicolas today. And it is where I visited the home of where it is believed Mary, the Mother of Jesus, spent her last years near Ephesus.  For a year and a half I was on sabbatical from Pinellas County Schools for studying Islamic art and Turkish Folk Arts.  I think some of the administrators thought this was a boondoggle, but there are generations of art students who now are more understanding and tolerant of a culture they would not have been.  They learned about Islamic art and culture.  They heard stories from Turkish folk tales and learned about how people all over the world, for their differences are really very much the same.  As America became more and more involved in the Middle East I think I at least helped hundreds of students and art teachers be tolerant and welcoming of the Middle Eastern Cultures. And with understanding I hope comes friendship and peace.  


Hagia Sophia(link)       Istanbul, Turkey
I was fortunate to celebrate Ramadan with my Turkish friends as well.  When people celebrate they express their culture, families, and get very creative at times.  Just look at this pick up truck all decked out somewhere in some small town in America.  A pretty creative family!



My favorite line from Christmas songs is this one and it is the message I hope travels the to us all….PEACE ON EARTH AND GOOD WILL TO MEN! 

I WISH YOU ALL PEACE AND JOY NO MATTER WHERE THIS MESSAGE FINDS YOU!  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...