Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Flying Among the Stars


AN AFRICAN AMERICAN ARTIST OF RENOUN


Flying Among the Stars  by Faith Ringgold   from google image for educational purposes only



I have had the pleasure of hearing Ms. Ringgold speak twice in my life.  Once I drove to Sarasota, Florida to hear her speak at the city convention center and what I remember from that time was my first introduction to Ringgold's Tar Beach.  I was enamored by the piece and the qualities of  quilting/fabric as art and the story telling emphasis of the work.  Later she did a childrens' book called aTar Beach which was a wonderful introduction to her art and the culture of Harlem and the African American experience.  I would see her again where she spoke at a national art education conference and again I was so impressed with her as an artist and as a person.  She has a generous larger than life personality.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...