Thursday, April 11, 2013

THE HEALING NATURE OF ART

TODAY IS ART CLASS AND I AM SO EXCITED!

WHY?






Elizabeth Gordon         Raku Sculpture



IT IS A DAY TO CREATE WITH FRIENDS!

This is  a day I love!

 After I retired from a career of teaching children I began to take art classes locally in areas that were different from my own art inclinations.  Why you might ask?
For one thing I had to retire because I was very ill, and that continued on for several long years.  I could hardly get out of bed and it did not take much to wear me out.  A friend talked me into taking some classes at a local art recreation center.  My hopes were not high for the quality of the class, as per my experience with city recreation centers before. But to my surprise it was not bean picture art and the like, but real art classes with qualified teachers.

At first I could not stay the whole day because of fatigue and I would go take a nap in my car or go home and nap over lunch time.  Sometimes I would have to come home early as I was too weak to stay, but slowly and surely I stayed a little longer and longer each day. The people and the art helped to heal me, slowly and surely. 
Dichroic glass fusion
Add caption

 My classmates were wonderful and my teacher positive and humorous.   The atmosphere was supportive and creative.  Through time I have watched other people come in with severe health challenges, loss, or personal problems...and they too let go of the negative that surrounds them and gently blossom into a new being like a caterpillar to a butterfly.
Scraffito on Clay 

It does not matter that the classes are more crafts oriented though I am more a fine artist.

 Art is like a stream of water, it can run constantly underground only to spring up when primed like a pump.  These classes prime me.  Once the art juices start flowing then they spread over to my collage and conceptual art which is my main area.
Clay ink transfer on pottery
When I took college classes in art, we often all worked together in the studio at night to do our extra assignments.  I loved the camaraderie of the other students and the interaction of ideas.  When I started teaching and working in my own studio, I really missed that.  Now these classes help fill that void.
Clay Sculpture done with Raku
  I often thought I would be happy in an art guild because of the same thing.
Art has always been a major part of my life, but now it has played a role I never expected.  It brought me to the light of health.


ART IS HEALING 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...