Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Making of Gullah Baskets

There are several films available on you tube about the Gullah people and basket making.  I thought I would include a few for you here today to watch.  I am learning as a I research for you as well. This is a fascinating part of the country that I am just experiencing in depth for the first time.  My brother and his family are relocating to Charleston, so it is giving me a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the area culture and arts. I look forward to sharing that with all of you where ever you are in the world.  From my Philippine friends to my European and Middle Eastern friends I say welcome-come with me on this journey of learning.  No matter where you are or what ever your circumstances we can travel together and I look forward to sharing what I learn with you.  

One of the things I loved about teaching art for children was doing the research and learning along the way.  As I got excited the students got even more excited.  I think it added to my creativity as a teacher.  I  was one of those rare teachers who did not save lesson plans from year to year. I wanted to force myself to always take a fresh approach for my students and myself.  I knew too many people who got into a rut relying on lessons they had perfected in the past.  I would have been a college student all my life if I could, for it is the learning I love so, but in teaching I found a new way to learn...in research, in explaining and creating experiences for others.  I also learned from the students themselves.  Never think you can not learn even from the youngest child in the room.  If you listen, if you hear, everyone has something to teach you!




  Gullah Basket Making            from you tube


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...