Thursday, May 17, 2012

Welcome Mozambique!!!!

a different canvas!   from google image
There were many pictures of Mozambique and its arts one could post, but this one drew my attention for a couple of reasons.  One, it is an alternate canvas and also it shows flexibility of a culture to adapt its arts to the times it is in.  That to me is creativity!

I love this picture of an artist so carefully painting on a car, after all a surface will do for an artist.  It reminds me of a story when I was teaching elementary art and I knew I had become a success as an arts teacher.  I had been teaching about Van Gogh for a month in which they students viewed many of Van Gogh's paintings and we did art projects relating to his style and work.  One day a 3rd grader came in with a drawing in his hand, he seemed to be so excited about to show me.  He said, "Miss Gordon, look at what I have done!"  I looked down to see a car on a Nascar Race Track with Starry Night by Van Gogh carefully drawn, as if spray painted, on the side of the car.  I knew I had made it as an art teacher and the lesson I had being trying to teach had gotten across.  So some day when this little boy becomes a race car driver and I see Starry night on the side of a Nascar Racer I won't be so surprised!    


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...