Monday, May 14, 2012

Meret Oppenheim


"One is used to artists living a life that suits them and to citizens turning a blind eye to this, 
But when a woman does the same.
They all open their eyes."


Meret Oppenheim                                                                                                      from google image

I have always loved Meret's work.  I will tell you a story, that if you went to art school, you may have had a similar experience.  When I was studying art at the university I took clay and sculpture the same semester with different professors.  It was the late 60's early 70's at a time when we were also studying the latest art out of New York. Influenced by the new art I was observing from NYC  I made a large pot in ceramics with holes and spikes beside the holes. I lined the inside with fur...the idea being the push pull of wanting to touch. But the spikes added danger or caution to the desire to touch.  Well, a big argument started between the clay professor who said it wasn't clay take it to sculpture class and the sculpture professor said it wasn't sculpture, take it to clay class.  I still think it was a good piece and I was just ahead of my time!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...