Thursday, May 10, 2012

Before I Die

There are many interesting and wonderful artists doing great things around this big world of ours.  I thought I would bring to your attention a few of them.  If you would like to add to the conversation you may email with names and projects you would like to see highlighted as well.


Candy Chang(click) is one of the artists I would like to introduce you to.  Candy, welcome to Rabbit's Moon Studio New Artist Series!  Not long after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans and in particular the 9th ward of New Orleans Candy brought attention to the plight in one of her public art projects, "Before I Die".  She painted the front of one of the ruined homes with a black chalk board paint and invited people at will and on their own to fill in the blanks Before I die......the answers are fascinating and the interactive elements of this art project with a general public that become part of the art are amazing.  This one of many art projects that involve the viewer in a response that adds to a whole.  Sidewalk Psychiatry(click)  and I wish this was (click)are others.  I love art that involves others, that makes people think, that does good in a community. Candy Chang's work is certainly does that!  It is interesting and the concepts are fascinating.  You can have my velvet Elvis, I would rather have Candy Chang anyway!
Through the years I have met many people, kids and adults alike, friends and family members, acquaintances that just can not understand nor accept modern art.  As a person who has a major in art education in undergraduate and a Masters Degree with an additional breath of post graduate courses in the arts I find it most amazing when my educated friends have a hard time with any art that is not representational.  Art is so much more than copying or illustrating, and modern art deals more with the intellect and ideas than any form of art.  That discussion can be for another post... I think I will do a series on isms, from a book called ISIMS which helps everyone to understand the different movements in art and why they happened and why they were important.  This is one of those projects, one of those pieces of art that goes beyond a nice painting of a flower, or a seascape...it is a concept...conceptual art.  It interacts with people, this is almost communal art is a way for it involves the viewers to participate in the making of the art project.  


A Public Art Project by Candy Chang in New Orleans, Louisiana 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...