Wednesday, September 4, 2013

ART IS A CALLING ONE MUST ANSWER


AN ARTIST MUST ANSWER THE INNER CALL!

Mask making in art class/the inner urge to create




From the youngest time I can remember I have wanted to draw to do art.  At two I was doing one hour scribbles my Mother said. She was amazed at my attentiveness so young, however she did not appreciate the drawing I did on her walls. It was my first unappreciated installation!! An inner call constantly urging to me, nagging me, whispering to my deep in the recesses of my mind and being...do art, do art, do art now.  Now at 66 the whispers are as a loud as ever.  I think all true artist have this, and it cannot be denied.  Why and what scientific principle lies behind this I think is yet to be understood.  I always think of it as a higher calling.  I know the longer I deny it, the more guilty I feel.  I think all artist have this, I saw it in the children I taught all of the 37 years of my career.  Often classroom teachers did not understand, and did not value art.  They punished children and berated them for drawing on their class papers or homework.  They didn't understand the children did not have a choice, it was an inner teacher urging them to practice to begin their life in art.
Einstein understood this as a creative being and scientist, in the following quote by Einstein we see clearly his view of the creative urge in artists.

"True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist."  Albert Einstein

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...